Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fix for "There are Currently No Logon Server Available" on Windows Machines


In our school we’ve recently been having issues, with wireless devices running Windows 7 and 8 and domain logins.
From time to time some of our users will receive and error stating that “there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request”





Although if users waited 15-30 seconds, they would usually be able to log on, it was annoying to have to re-enter network credentials, and was a pain for our teachers.

I suspected that the reason our users were receiving this error, was simply because the wifi connection had not been completely established (possibly due the fact that service was still starting).

To fix this I created a GPO which contains the script that make the Netlogon service dependent WLANSVC and lanmanworkstation service.  In other words, the login screen will not become available to users until both of these services are completely starting.

I applied this GPO first to an OU which we used for test, and I noticed that on our laptops now, instead of the Login screen becoming available right away, there was a 5~ delay in which Windows just gave the message "Please Wait", and the the login screen would come up.  I assume during that time frame Netlogon is waiting for the other two services to fully start.

This seems to have largely fixed the problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew. This sounds exactly like the issue I have. We have over 300 laptops and getting this message on at least 5 laptops a day, some days even more. Could you point me in the direction of finding this script? Have been looking everywhere. Glad I have found this blog as looks very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good solution, I usually switch to wired connection for temporary fix. Disjoin and rejoin domain also works for me, great post https://goo.gl/VnAq6m

    ReplyDelete